PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT ANNAMALAI UNIVERSITY MBA ASSIGNMENT ANSWER SHEETS PROVIDED WHATSAPP 91 9924764558
DIRECTORATE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION
M.B.A. HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Academic Year 2019 – 2020
1.1 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
1. Management is said to have universal application. How do you justify the
Universality of Management? Give examples to illustrate your arguments.
2. “The importance of strategic planning is now fully realized by the Indian
corporate sector than before”- Discuss
3. Explain about the personal challenges involved in becoming a manager and a
leader in today’s turbulent environment.
4. Without effective management the resources will remain as resources cannot be
converted into productive utilities – Do you agree? Give reasons.
1.2 MARKETING MANAGEMENT
1. What is market segmentation? What are the different ways of segmentation?
Suggest the segmentation strategy for the following products: edible oil, table
top wet grinder and business magazine.
2. What strategies you would recommend to be followed during the four stages of
PLC? Identify one product and one service for each stage in the PLC. Give
reasons for your answer.
3. What are the objectives of pricing strategies? Discuss the merits of different
pricing techniques that you would recommend for the following products.
Laptop, Sports utility vehicle, designer tiles.
4. Do you think that social media advertisements would kill all other traditional
media? Discuss your answer with proper justification. Also explain under what
circumstances online advertisements would be highly recommended.
1.3 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
1. It is usual to declare good dividends when the company is making good
profit. It is profitable for companies not to declare any dividend even when
they are making good profits. What will be the reaction of the shareholders?
2. “In managing working capital the finance manager faces the problem of
compromising the conflicting goals of liquidity and profitability”. –Comment.
What strategy should the finance manager develop to solve this problem?
3. Design an appropriate capital structure which yield more profitability for a
service industry. Illustrate your answer with the help of EBIT-EPS analysis.
4. “The success of a business concern depends upon the way in which it’s
earnings are computed, distributed and retained”- Comment on this
1.4 OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
1. Elaborate the role of SAP software applications on supply chain management.
2. As an automobile production manager, how will you take Make or Buy decision
in your unit?
3. “Spending Money for Maintenance is waste” – Discuss.
4. Describe the steps in ISO quality certification process by any Agency in India.
1.5 HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
1. “Human resource planning is a pre-requisite for effective management of human
resources”. In the light of this statement, analyse the significance of human
2. Explain a sample HR departmental structure for a large manufacturing
organization and explain the functions.
3. You are appointed as HR manager for a mid size leather company which is new.
Now you are asked to fix pay scale for the employees. Explain your process of
4. Performance Appraisal System helps employees to identify the areas in which
they need to improve – Do You agree or disagree? Justify with the suitable
1.6 STATISTICS FOR MANAGERS
1. Develop a research problem that requires the use of discriminate analysis. Use
‘entered college’ ‘did not enter college’ as dependent variables. Discuss with
2. A Statistical survey is a scientific process of collection and analysis of
numerical data. Explain the stages of statistical survey. Describe the various
methods for collecting data in a statistical survey.
3. Two groups of 100 people each were taken for testing the use of vaccine.
15 persons contracted the disease out of the inoculated persons, while
25 contracted the disease in the other group. Test the efficiency of the vaccine,
use X square value (at 5 percent level for one degree of freedom the value of
X square = 3.82)
4. A panel of two judges P and Q graded seven dramatic performance by
independently awarding marks as follows
Performance: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Marks by P: 46 42 44 40 43 41 45
Marks by Q 40 38 36 35 39 37 41
The eighth performance, for which judge Q could not attend, was awarded 37
marks by judge P. If judge Q has also been present, how many marks would be
expected to have been awarded by him to the eighth performance?
1.7 MANAGERIAL COMMUNICATION
1. You have recently joined a branch of a Bank as its manager. Write a report to the
head office on the short falls in the routine work of the branch.
2. Design an Agenda and Minutes of an annual general body meeting. (Assume your
own choice of company)
3. Explain the process of designing and developing oral presentation. Also, prepare a
five minutes presentation to address your managers on any matter of your choice.
4. Develop a complaint letter as a dealer to the manufacturer about the replacements
of defective products. Highlight the complaints pointed out by the customers
regarding the products.
1.8 ORGANISATIONAL BEHAVIOUR
1. Prepare an interview schedule for the concept Personality and its components,
conduct an interview with a few executives of any one organization known to
you and present the results with critical analysis.
2. To highlight the concept, components, process, and importance of Groups in an
organization prepare a role play script and explain group dynamics.
3. After listing out the qualities and theories of leadership view YouTube on
executive leadership and present the outcome of your perception on leadership.
4. Make telephone calls to your friends and seniors working in various
organizations and collect information about their Organizational Culture,
analyze them and present them with issues and strategies.
M.B.A. Assignment/ HRM/ 1ST YEAR/AUP/ 709/ C-2000
ANNAMALAI UNIVERSITY PRESS 2019 -20
2.1 ORGANISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND MANAGEMENT OF CHANGE
1. Organizational development is in enviable and continuous process. As a
consultant how do you accept this statement? Give your views.
2. Power and politics are associated factors .As a management student how would
you relate and compare both power and politics in organizational development
3. Organizational interventions are different in its significance. How would you
classify and apply those interventions for organizational development. Discuss.
4. As OD consultant what type of changes and levels of changes you would observe
and study in any organization.
2.2 TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
1. Evolve a new evaluation scheme for training Bank officials training programmes
that is capable of eliminating the disadvantages from the existing evaluation
scheme – Discuss.
2. Identify the ways and options to fill performance gaps- with example.
3. HR functionaries are better suited to become trainers than line managers. They
don’t require training as they are experts in training. Give at least four
arguments for against this statement.
4. Prepare a developmental job assignment for a newly joined marketing trainee
who is found to be having high potential – Give example.
2.3 LABOUR WELFARE
1) Elucidate and discuss the various obstacles in the growth of Trade Unions in
2) Explain the concept and objectives of ‘Social Security’. Give a brief account of
the various social security schemes available in India.
3) Enumerate the contributions of Labour Legislations in India towards Industrial
4) Explain the following in detail
a) Suggestions to Strengthen Trade Unions in India
b) Benefits of Collective Bargaining
c) Prevention of Industrial Disputes in India
d) Need and Importance of Labour Welfare in India.
2.4 INDUSTRIAL RELATIONS
1. In analyzing industrial relations, the role of social change cannot be overlooked.
As it equally influences both employee and management, which is obvious from
the fact that today’s management has increasingly become professional, there is
a greater thrust on the use of behaviour techniques in dealing with human side
of enterprise – Do you agree with the statement? Justify.
2. “The responsibility of nurturing a healthy industrial climate lies with the
management, the unions and the government. The political parties, the
community and the society should also play a decisive role in improving the
existing industrial relations and if there is any dispute or conflict, it should be
settled by mutual negotiation or conciliation or voluntary arbitration” –
Comment on the above statement and suggest the ways of promoting industrial
peace at this juncture.
3. The industrial relations can be viewed from the various angles which may range
from the economic and social, political to the legal, psychological and
managerial. But none of these give a perfect view of industrial relations but
certainly adds to our intellectual dimensions in this context – Critically evaluate
the statement and relate any two approaches of industrial relations system to
the above circumstances.
4. The effect of both strikes and lockouts are the same, as they both ensure that
workers will be away from work. Examine whether and why management wants
to declare lockouts and when workers want to go on strikes. Also identify the
ways and means of resolving such disputes within the organisation and
through alternative mechanisms.
2.5 WAGES AND SALARY ADMINISTRATION
1. Compare and contrast wage fixation principles and practices in public and
2. What is the basis for occupational wage differentials support with live
3. Write an essay on executive compensation practices in India.
4. Why pay commission abolition proposed by government of India? Give SWOT
2.6 STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT
1. Take an imaginary situation relating to pricing or investment policy in a
selected industry in which there are few sellers and show how the adoption
of different strategies by a leading player defines different possible paths.
Use a decision tree to illustrate these different possible paths.
2. Carry out SWOT analysis of Indian Railways. Suggest measure to run it
3. Nowadays Product Diversification is a mandatory process in Indian Industry.
Give an example for success and failure. Give reasons for the success and
4. “Technological factors represent major opportunities and threats, which
must be taken into account while formulating strategies.” – Discuss. How
will a firm build a sustainable technology based competitive advantage?
1. “Electronic Commerce is commonly known as e-commerce, is a process of
buying and selling of goods or services using electronic systems. List-out the
applications and benefits of e-commerce.
2. Discuss the role of data mining techniques and data visualization in
3. Compare the communication system in traditional business and on-line
4. Discuss the challenges and opportunities of e-commerce in Indian Software
2.7.2 BUSINESS RESEARCH METHODS
1. “Research is much considered with proper fact finding, analysis and
Evaluation.” –Do you agree with this statement. Substantiate your view with the
following situation. You are the HRD Manager with ABB (India). ABB has
recently taken over a major unit in Kolkata. You are sent on a posting there and
are given the task of introducing a new operation scheme which your parent
organization feels will improve efficiency. But you perceive during your stay
that there is an underlying dissatisfaction amongst the employees and it is
essential to gauge their views and opinion about the takeover and their
expectations before introducing the scheme.
2. In order to improve the importance of chi square analysis, correlation analysis
and t test. Create tables with imaginary and appropriate values and explain the
3. “Every data collection method has its own built-in biases. Therefore, resorting to
multi method of data collection is only going to compound the biases”. How do
you critique this statement?
4. “Data processing is an intermediary stage of work between data collection and
data analysis”- Explain the statement by enumerating the various operations
involved in it.