MANAGERIAL COMMUNICATION MBA ANNAMALAI ASSIGNMENT ANSWER PROVIDED WHATSAPP 91 9924764558
DR. PRASANTH MBA PH.D. DME MOBILE / WHATSAPP: +91 9924764558 OR +91 9447965521 EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org WEBSITE: www.casestudyandprojectreports.com
DIRECTORATE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION
M.B.A. HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Academic Year 2018 – 2019
This booklet contains assignment topics. Students are asked to write the
assignments for EIGHT papers as per instructions.
Last date for submission: 28-02-2019
Last date for submission with late fee ` 300/- : 15-03-2019
1. Assignments sent after 15-03-2019 will not be evaluated.
2. Assignments should be in the own hand writing of the student concerned and
not type-written or printed or photocopied.
3. Assignments should be written on A4 paper on one side only.
4. All assignments (with Enrolment number marked on the Top right hand corner
on all pages) should be put in an envelop with superscription “MBA
Assignments” and sent to The Director, Directorate of Distance Education,
Annamalai University, Annamalainagar – 608 002 by Registered post.
5. No notice will be taken on assignments which are not properly filled in with
Enrolment Number and the Title of the papers.
6. Students should send full set of assignments for all papers. Partial
assignments will not be considered.
Write assignments on any TWO topics in each paper out of the FOUR. For each
topic the answer should not exceed 15–pages. Each assignment carries 25 marks
DR. M. ARUL
1.1 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
1. Management can be defined as ” A process of bringing about improvement in
knowledge, skill, habit and attitudes of the employees in an organization”.
2. “Decision making is the most critical managerial task.” Discuss the above
statement in light of decision-making process.
3. Select a business or political leader whom you admire, and identify his or her
style of leading by applying the managerial grid or the continuum-of-behaviour
model of Tannenbaum and Schmidt.
4. ‟The only planning tool we need in the company is the budget. If everyone meets
his or her budget, we need nothing else, and management by objectives would
be an unnecessary frill”. Comment.
1.2 MARKETING MANAGEMENT
1. Explain the recent trends in marketing concepts, also discuss the factors that a
marketing manager must take into account while developing the marketing mix
for the below mentioned products. I. Female cosmetics, II. Children health
drinks and III. Adult bike.
2. ‘Every change in the political and legal environment creates an adjustment
problem for the marketers’ – as a budding manager what is your opinion about
this statement and suggest a suitable strategy to adopt successful and smooth
running of your business.
3. In designing an advertising campaign for a soft drink, which would you find
more useful; information about consumer demographics or information about
consumer life style? Give an example of how would you use each type of
4. Suggest a successful way to segment the market for the following products
a) Detergent soap b) Designer Jewellery c) Breakfast Cereals.
1.3 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
1. It is usual to declare good dividends when the company is making good
profit. It is profitable for companies not to declare any dividend even when
they are making good profits? What will be the reaction of the shareholder?
2. If you are working as a financial manager in an organization, what are your
policies to make profit for the organization?
3. Assume that you are new entrepreneur to start the business, which financial
resources you opt? Justify with your views.
4. “The success of a business concern depends upon the way in which it
earnings are computed, distributed and retained”- Comment on this
1.4 OPERATIONS MANAGEMENT
1. Prepare step by step Supply Chain network layout for any manufacturing
2. List the various factors to be considered for locating Atomic Power plant.
3. Prepare PERT network for assembling a Motor Bike.
4. Visit any production plant and list various Material Handling devices with
photographs. Explain its advantages and disadvantages.
1.5 HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
1.”HR outsourcing has become a common practice throughout the world”-Discuss
the implications of HR outsourcing functions.
2. Identify the Paramount barriers for effective training programme in IT field and
how to crush them”. Explain with real life examples.
3. What type of interview techniques do you adopt for selecting an Executive in a
FMCG company for the post of Marketing Manager?
4. Assume that you are responsible for evaluating the employees’ performance in
the public sector manufacturing company. Discuss the appraisal process. Also
explain techniques you apply for various levels and give reasons.
1.6 STATISTICS FOR MANAGERS
1. Which measure of central tendency would be most useful in each of the
(a) The production manager for a manufacturer of glass jars, who is concerned
about the proper jar size to manufacture, has sample data on jar sizes
ordered by customers. Would the mean, median, or modal jar size be of
most value to the manager?
(b) The sales manager for a quality furniture manufacturer is interested in
selecting the region’s most likely to purchase his firm’s products. Would he
be most interested in the mean or median of family income in prospective
(c) A security analyst is interested in describing the daily market price change of
the common stock of a manufacturing company. Rarely the market price of
the stock changes by more than one point, but occasionally the price will
change by as many as four points in one day. Should the security analyst
describe the daily price change of the stock in terms of mean, median, or
mode of the daily market price change?
2. Late payment of medical claims can add to the cost of health care. An article
reported that the mean time from the date of service to the date of payment for
one insurance company was 41.4 days during a recent period. Suppose that a
sample of 100 medical claims is selected during the latest time period. The
sample mean time from the date of service to the date of payment was 39.6
days, and the sample standard deviation was 7.4 days.
a. Using the 0.05 level of significance, is there evidence that the population
mean has changed from 41.4 days?
b. What is your answer in (a) if you use the 0.01 level of significance?
c. What is your answer in (a) if the sample mean is 38.2 days and the sample
standard deviation is 10.7 days?
3. La Quinta Motor Inns developed a computer model to predict the profitability of
sites that are being considered as locations for new hotels. If the computer
model predicts large profits, La Quinta buys the proposed site and builds a new
hotel. If the computer model predicts small or moderate profits, La Quinta
chooses not to proceed. This decision-making procedure can be expressed in the
hypothesis-testing framework. The null hypothesis is that the site is not a
profitable location. The alternative hypothesis is that the site is a profitable
a. Explain the risks associated with committing a Type I error in this case.
b. Explain the risks associated with committing a Type II error in this case.
c. Which type of error do you think the executives at La Quinta Motor Inns are
trying hard to avoid? Explain.
4. The chair of the accounting department wants to develop a regression model to
predict the grade point average in accounting for graduating accounting majors,
based on the students’ SAT score and whether the student received a grade of B
or higher in the introductory statistics course (0 = no and 1 = yes).
a. Explain the steps involved in developing a regression model for these data.
Be sure to indicate the particular models you need to evaluate and
b. Suppose the regression coefficient for the variable of whether the student
received a grade of B or higher in the introductory statistics course
is +0.30, how do you interpret this result?
1.7 MANAGERIAL COMMUNICATION
1. Assuming you are a Chief Personnel Manager of a leading MNC, draft a letter
calling a candidate for an interview in reply to his application for the position of
Chief Financial Executive.
2. Assume yourself as a Customer Relationship Manager of a bank. You have received
a letter from your customers who have complained to you about the rude
behaviour of a computer clerk. Since the customer is an important person, write a
letter to convince the customer.
3. Communication is lifeblood of an organization and without it organization cannot
exists. Discuss this statement.
4. The problem of communication arises because there are various obstacles which
may entirely prevent a communication or filter part of it, or present it incorrect.
Comment and discuss.
1.8 ORGANISATIONAL BEHAVIOUR
1. Understanding the basic concepts of Organizational Behaviour prepare a
Behavioural frame work for a newly established IT company in Chennai. –
Student can imagine the size and turnover of the industry.
2. To understand the importance of the concepts personality, perception, and
attitude of employees in an organization, prepare an interview schedule, conduct
an interview with 2-3 executives of any one organization and present the results.
3. After listing out the qualities and theories of leadership, have a discussion with
one or two real world leaders of your choice and present the outcome.
4. Identify a suitable case to understand Organizational Culture, analyze the case
and present it with issues and strategies.
M.B.A. [HRM] – 1ST YEAR – Assignment – UAP/551/C-2000
ANNAMALAI UNIVERSITY PRESS 2018 -2019