ANNAMALAI UNIVERSITY MBA E BUSINESS ASSIGNMENT ANSWERS
FOR ELABORATED ANSWER SHEETS WHATSAPP IN +91 9924764558
DIRECTORATE OF DISTANCE EDUCATION
Academic Year 2019 – 2020
ASSIGNMENT TOPICS AND ANSWERS
1.1 PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT
1. Management is said to have universal application. How do you justify the
Universality of Management? Give examples to illustrate your arguments.
Managing is necessary whenever one needs to get things done.
It may be called the practice of consciously and continually shaping organizations.
Every organization has people who are assigned the responsibility of serving the organization to achieve its goals.
Management is a universal phenomenon in the sense that it is a common and essential element in all enterprises. Every group effort requires setting objectives, making plans, handling people, co-coordinating and controlling activities, achieving goals and evaluating performance directed towards organizational goals.
These activities relate to the utilization of 4 types of inputs or resources from the environment—human, monetary, physical, and informational.
Human resources include managerial talent, labor, and so forth. Monetary resources are the financial capital the organization uses to finance both ongoing and long-term operations.
Physical resources include raw materials, office and production facilities, and equipment. Information resources are data and other kinds of information utilized by the organization.
The job of the manager is to combine and coordinate these resources to achieve the organization’s goals.
If we see our society closely, we will found management practices are being used everywhere, our praying place, social parties, transport system, schools and.
The concept of universality of management has several implications.
- First, managerial skills are transferable from one person to another.
- Secondly, management skills can be transferred from one organization to another.
- Thirdly, managerial skills can be important and exported from one country to another.
- Fourthly, this principle of universality serves as the basis of a general theory of management -a set of common principles.
Some experts support the universality of management on the group that whatever the situation and whatever the level of management, the management function is common.
Any manager must, one time or the other, perform the same managerial functions.
2. “The importance of strategic planning is now fully realized by the Indian
corporate sector than before”- Discuss
3. Explain about the personal challenges involved in becoming a manager and a
leader in today’s turbulent environment.
4. Without effective management the resources will remain as resources cannot be
converted into productive utilities – Do you agree? Give reasons.
1.2 MARKETING MANAGEMENT
1. What is market segmentation? What are the different ways of segmentation/
suggest the segmentation strategy for the following products: Edible oil, Table
top wet grinder and Business magazine.
Market segmentation is the process of dividing a market of potential customers into groups, or segments, based on different characteristics. The segments created are composed of consumers who will respond similarly to marketing strategies and who share traits such as similar interests, needs, or locations.
Market segmentation makes it easier for marketers to personalize their marketing campaigns.
By arranging their company’s target market into segmented groups, rather than targeting each potential customer individually, marketers can be more efficient with their time, money, and other resources than if they were targeting consumers on an individual level. Grouping similar consumers together allows marketers to target specific audiences in a cost effective manner.
Market segmentation also reduces the risk of an unsuccessful or ineffective marketing campaign. When marketers divide a market based on key characteristics and personalize their strategies based on that information, there is a much higher chance of success than if they were to create a generic campaign and try to implement it across all segments.
2. What strategies you would recommend to be followed during the four stages of
PLC. Identify one product and one service for each stage in the PLC. Give
reasons for your answer.
3. What are objectives of pricing strategies? Discuss the merits of different pricing
techniques that you would recommend for the following products. Laptop,
Sports utility vehicle, designer tiles.
4. Do you think that social media advertisements would kill all other traditional
media? Discuss your answer with proper justification. Also explain under what
circumstances online advertisements would be highly recommended.
1.3 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
1. It is usual to declare good dividends when the company is making good
profit. It is profitable for companies not to declare any dividend even when
they are making good profits. What will be the reaction of the shareholder?
2. “In managing working capital the finance manager faces the problem of
compromising the conflicting goals of liquidity and profitability”. –
Comment. What strategy should the finance manager develop to solve this
3. Design an appropriate capital structure which yield more profitability for a
service industry. Illustrate your answer with the help of EBIT-EPS analysis.
4. “The success of a business concern depends upon the way in which it’s
earnings are computed, distributed and retained”- Comment on this
1.4 DATABASE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
1. Discuss the various update operation on relation and types of integrity
constraints that must be checked for each update operation?
2. Explain various levels of Data abstraction in database system?
3. Why is concurrency control needed? Explain lost update, Inconsistent retrievals
and uncommitted dependency anomalies.
4. Construct an ER diagram for Bank transactions.
1.5 HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
1. “Human resource planning is a pre-requisite for effective management of human
resources”. In the light of this statement, analyse the significance of human
2. Explain a sample HR departmental structure for a large manufacturing
organization and explain the functions.
3. You are appointed as HR manager for a mid size leather company which is new.
Now you are asked to fix pay scale for the employees. Explain your process of
4. Performance Appraisal System helps employees to identify the areas in which
they need to improve – Do You agree or disagree? Justify with the suitable
1.6 MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEM
1. A Company decided to implement a highly integrated management information
system. Any transaction entered in to the system would immediately affect all
related functional subsystem at all levels of activity. The system was never
implemented successfully. Why do you think it was a failure?
2. Explain a hierarchical database organisation. Give an example of data that has
a ‘natural’ Hierarchical order. What are the limitations of a network
3. Discuss the amount of centralization that PBS has and whether this is
functional or dysfunctional.
4. Discuss the role of MIS in the fields of education.
1.7 SOFTWARE PROJECT MANAGEMENT
1. A public library is considering the implementation of a computer-based system
to help administer book loan at libraries. Identify the stakeholders in such a
project. What might be the objectives of such a project and how might the
success of the project be measured in practical terms?
2. Assume that a company has decided on a COTS solution that will replace the
whole of the existing maintenance accounting system rather than simply
plugging in additional modules to deal with group accounts. Write a
memorandum to the company’s legal department outlining the important
provisions that a contract to supply this system should have.
3. An organization is contemplating the purchase of a project planning software
tool such as MS project and has decided to draw up quality specifications for
the package. The features that they are particularly concerned are, to set up
details of new projects and updating the project details with information about
actual work completed. Draw up quality specifications in respect of the qualities
of 1) Usability 2) Reliability 3) Recoverability
4. ABC software company is to develop software for effective counselling for
allotment of engineering seats for students with high scores ranking from top
colleges. The product has to be upgraded if the common entrance score is to be
considered. Describe the appropriate product development life cycle and the
standard skills required.
1.8 FINANCIAL AND MANAGEMENT ACCOUNTING
1. Enumerate the ratios that measure a firm’s overall effectiveness and specify the
2. “Depreciation is a process of allocation and not of valuation.” Comment.
3. It is said that only cash cost are relevant for capital budgeting decision.
However, depreciation which is a non-cash cost is a prominent part of cash flow
analysis for such an investment decision. How do you explain this paradox?
4. It is said, “cost accounting is a system of foresight and not post-mortem
examination; it turns losses into profit, speeds up activities and eliminates
wastes”. Discuss in detail this statement